In the first part of the 30s in the 20th century, the new chapter of the German history has opened – of the Germany that was facing more than only an economical crysis.
T-55A is a member of large family of Soviet post-war tanks – the first link in the chain was T-44 and the latest – T-62. All shared the hull’s layout and engine but differed in the shape of the turret and main armament.
The appearance of German PzKpfw V ‘Panther’, PzKpfw VI ‘Tiger’ and PzKpfw IV fitted with a long barrelled 75 mm cannon on the battlefields of the eastern front posed quite a challenge for the designers of the Russian T-34 medium tank.
Design work on T-64 main battle tank, developed as successor to the T-54/55/62 family, commenced in 1954 in the Design Bureau of the Malyshev Factory in Kharkov, Ukraine.
Katyusha – the legendary Russian weapon of World War II.
Before the start of the Second World War, British armoured doctrine was in a terrible muddle.
The origins of the T-34 medium tank date back to 1938, when the USSR State Defence Committee, having analysed experiences from the Spanish Civil War, resolved to construct a successor of the BT-7 ‘convertible tank’ (tracks could be removed and a chain drive to the road wheels engaged, allowing the tank to travel at high speeds on roads).
The “product 172” was designed in Nishni Tagil as the variant of T-64 with less advanced but more reliable engine.
The M3A1 Light Tank was a significant incremental improvement over the earlier M3 Light design program begun originally in 1940.
The BMP-2 [BMP = Boyevaya Mashina Pyekhoty – Infantry Fighting Vehicle] was fielded in early 1980’s as an improved version of the BMP-1 incorporating new turret with more powerful armament [initially designated by US intelligence BMP 1981].