Arado Ar 196


The all-metal wings in low-wing monoplane configuration, that could be back-folded had a 6° dihedral. They had a trapezium outline with rounded tips and were of twin spar construction with 32 frame ribs. The wings were attached to the fuselage in two points, the forward one was equipped with a special lock that allowed for a quick release in order to facilitate the folding. They were covered with duraluminium, metal slotted ailerons were fabric covered and operated by pushers. They had the Flettner balance tabs. Flaps, covered with metal sheets on the lower and fabric on the upper surfaces, were hydraulically operated within the range of 45°. The A-2 variant had an additional 20 mm MG FF cannon with drum magazine installed between the fourth and fifth rib in each wing.
Control surfaces were of metal construction, covered with duraluminium, while the ailerons were covered with fabric. Both rudder and elevator were equipped with trimming tabs. The elevator fixed at 0° had a span of 4.80 m. It operated within the range of 30° up and 25° down. The 2.25 m tall (from the fuselage centreline) rudder was attached to the frames no. 21 and no. 23. To counter balance the torque effect of the propeller, it was fixed at 1°44’ to the left. The tilt was 30° to each side.
The plane was powered by BMW 132 K nine-cylinder radial engine with the 960 PS take-off power at 2350 rpm. The maximum power output for two minutes at altitude of 450 m and the same rpm was up to 970 PS. At 2100 rpm and altitude of 1500 m, at the cruising speed, the power output was 690 PS. Engine cubic capacity was 23 312 m3. The VDM 9-11259 A-1 metal propeller had a diameter of 3.10 metres and was attached to engine’s shaft with eight screws. The pitch controller’s switch was located on the control column.
The engine had an exhaust manifold and two exhaust pipes, located symmetrically on both sides of the cowling. To start it up in cold a mixture of aviation petrol and ether was used. It was stored in a 0.5 litre tank near the APB 6 injection pump installed in the fuselage under the instrument panel. The engine cradle was made of welded steel pipes.
The NACA cowling had a streamlined cylinder head covers, the cooling air stream was controlled by flaps located in the rear part of the fairing. It was divided into three parts, open to the side and closed with latches. The B4, 87 octane, leaded petrol was stored in 600 litre fuel tanks located in the floats. The DBU-Ep 1 A fuel pumps were also mounted there. The 30 litre metal oil tank (filled with 27.5 litres of oil) was located on the fire-wall, behind the engine.

Ar 196 B central float [Kagero Archive]


Flaps were operated by hydraulic system composed of the Leistritz 19 S-24 engine pump, compensation tank located on the left side of the cockpit and an auxiliary hand pump in the radio operator’s compartment. Both flaps were operated by the same servo-motor.
The earth-return wiring system had a 24 V voltage rating. It was powered by the Varta lead battery with 20Ah capacity located in a case on the right side of the pilot’s seat and a 1200 W Bosch generator. The circuits had automatic cut-outs located on the console on the right side of the pilot’s position in the cockpit.
The gun armament consisted of a single, fixed, synchronized 7.92 mm Rheinmetall-Borsig MG 17 machine gun mounted in the fuselage with 1000 rounds, two 20 mm Rheinmetall-Borsig (Oerlikon) MG FF/B cannons in the wings with 65 rounds per cannon and a single, 7.92 mm Rheinmetall-Borsig MG 15 machine gun with 525 rounds on a flexible mount in the rear of the cockpit. The A-5 variant had a twin 7.92 mm Mauser MG 81 Z machine gun with 2000 rounds on flexible mount.
The bomb load was mounted on two ETC 50/VIII (See) underwing racks. The maximum bomb weight was 50 kg per rack.
The Arado Ar 196 prototypes were painted with L40/52, a slightly lighter shade of the RLM 63 Hellgrau (light-grey) on all surfaces. The civilian registration numbers were painted black (RLM 22 Schwarz).
The serial production Arado Ar 196 planes were painted according to the instructions concerning seaplanes camouflage schemes worked out by the Erprobungstelle Travemünde and an official RLM document LC 2 Nr. 2890 39 (VI) geh. AZ 70 k, dated May 24, 1939. Upper surfaces and sides were covered with a RLM 72 Grün and RLM 73 Grün splinter camouflage scheme with uniform RLM 65 Hellblau on the underside. The splinter scheme was to be applied with the use of templates, stick tape or painter’s string. The folding points of the colour patches were to be marked with chalk or suitable camouflage colour dots. Some slight exceptions to the scheme, no more than 5 cm in width, were allowed. The colour demarcation lines could be vague; it was allowed for the colours to overlap up to 5 cm in width. Demarcation lines between RLM 72 and RLM 73 on the upper surfaces and RLM 65 on the underside were to run in such places, as to make the light-blue colour invisible to an observer looking down or at the 35° angle to the horizon. The float tips, up to the frame no. 1, were painted RLM 23 Rot.